pâtisserie natalie

May 9, 2009

S'mores Cookies



I've been trying to make these for a long time. For some reason, I just could not get the marshmallows to work. I realized it was that I couldn't get the temperature of the sugar/water/corn syrup to the soft-ball stage. I was using this small thermometer that involved holding it over the burner for long periods of time. I'd end up burned and frustrated. It hurt so badly, I'd just call it done. But this is a very important step, so buy yourself a good candy thermometer if you ever want to make marshmallows. As summer starts to make its appearance in Seattle, I start thinking about camping and being outdoors. I'm leaving for a school trip involving camping next week, which also inspired me to make these. While best served warm, these s'mores are a good cookie interpretation. Next time, I would make the marshmallow much thinner. These were sort of unmanageably large. But they worked, so I thought I'd post them.

IMG_0834


Marshmallows
From Martha Stewart

2 envelopes (each 1 scant tablespoon) unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Vegetable-oil cooking spray

Coat a 12-by-17-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray; line with parchment paper. Spray parchment; set aside. Pour 1/3 cup cold water into the bowl of an electric mixer. Sprinkle with gelatin; let mixture soften, about 5 minutes.
Place sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/3 cup water in a medium saucepan. Cover; bring to a boil. Remove lid; cook, swirling pan occasionally, until syrup reaches 238 degrees (soft-ball stage) on a candy thermometer, about 5 minutes.
With mixer on low speed, whisk gelatin mixture, and slowly pour the syrup in a steady stream down the side of the bowl (to avoid splattering). Gradually raise speed to high; beat until mixture is thick, white, and has almost tripled in volume, about 12 minutes. Add vanilla, and beat 30 seconds to combine.
Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet; smooth with an offset spatula. Let stand at room temperature, uncovered, until firm, at least 3 hours or overnight.
Coat cookie cutter with cooking spray to prevent it from sticking. Cut out as many individual marshmallows as possible; coat cutter with more spray as needed. Use marshmallows immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.

IMG_0838


Graham Crackers
2 1/2 cups AP flour
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup honey
5 tablespoons whole milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Combine ingredients in food processor in order of the ingredients listed above. Once combined, remove dough from food processor and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours. Once chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out to 1/4" thickness on a floured surface. Using same cutters used for marshmallows, cut out the dough and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 1 hour.

Chocolate Glaze:
8 oz dark chocolate
4 teaspoons vegetable oil

Melt chocolate over a double broiler. Once melted, add vegetable oil until combined completely.

IMG_0833


Assembly:

Dab a little chocolate on the inside of 2 graham crackers. Stick one cut-out marshmallow in between and place on sheet pan. Do this for all your graham crackers/marshmallows. Place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, so the chocolate can stiffen a little. After 20 minutes, take out your sheet pans, and dip the graham crackers/marshmallows into the chocolate glaze (dip however much of the cookie into the chocolate as you like, I did about half the cookie). Make sure your sheet pans have parchment or wax paper on them, and place the dipped cookies on the sheet pan. Place bake into refrigerator until glaze has hardened.

I didn't try heating them back up to serve, but I got that suggestion from a couple people, and thought that was a great idea.

6 comments:

Cheri said...

Gorgeous photos and the s'mores look super yummy. I just might have to give these a try sometime.
P.S. I found this post through flickr :)

Natalie said...

Thank you! I really appreciate your comments.
-Natalie

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I just discovered your site, Natalie and I'm so glad I did. Your photos are stunning and the recipes sound great as well.

Natalie said...

thanks xialou, glad you stumbled on my site and like it :)

Anonymous said...

My daughter has a camping trip overnight for school. I'm going to make these and send them for each child. I know that they'll love these. Thanks!

Natalie said...

Those are some lucky kids.

Post a Comment

 
All Rights Reserved © 2012 Natalie Shields